SU campus mourns for grad student

On Sept. 11, Syracuse University lost one of its alumni, William Liberi, a social work graduate student and former student at Wells College. On Thursday, William was remembered by professors, deans, students and friends during a memorial service of about 20 people in Hendricks Chapel.

All of the those who spoke about Liberi seemed to share the notion that he was a determined, humble and brave human being. Liberi, a female-to-male transsexual, did not let his sex define who he was or what he stood for in society, speakers said.

As the service started, people gathered around pews and shook the hands of others while talking about Liberi and his many accomplishments. Liberi’s picture stood next to a vase of full flowers on an alter at the front of the chapel. As people took their seats, ‘Safe and Sound’ by Sheryl Crow played through loudspeakers.

After the opening song, ceremony host Rev. Kelly Sprinkle spoke about Liberi.

‘Today, primarily, we are here to acknowledge one’s grief. Let us be honest with death, so we can know Will better and know ourselves more deeply,’ the protestant chaplain said.

Members of the audience nodded in concurrence.

‘Some of Will’s nobility flows into us,’ Sprinkle said.

The speakers that followed shared similar thoughts about Liberi, yet they all had their own way of expressing their feelings about their friend.

‘He was known as the little guy with a big heart. He had a passion to change things in the world that were oppressive and discriminatory,’ said Adrea Jaehnig, director of the LGBT Resource Center, a program Liberi participated in before his death.

Liberi was determined to change the world, Jaehnig said.

She shared a story about how Liberi’s facial hair at work turned into an issue with his employers at the dining halls. As Liberi began working, Jaehnig said, he was told to go home and shave off his facial hair before he could come back.

‘Do you know how long it took me to grow this?’ Jaehnig recalled Liberi saying, as many people in attendance chuckled.

Because of Liberi, employees at Syracuse dining halls are now allowed to wear beard guards instead of shaving.

As the memorial continued, Alejandro Garcia, director of the School of Social Work, offered insight about his relationship with Liberi.

‘He was a charmer, a rogue, an educator. I feel I learned more from him than he did from me. He wanted to be himself, and not meet the demands of others,’ Garcia said.

Though the speakers each had their own stories to share about Liberi, SU junior Joan Kump’s words trumped them all.

‘I came prepared,’ Kump said, as she held up a box of tissues.

Instead of addressing those in attendance, Kump addressed Liberi.

‘Thank you for pretending to like my chicken soup,’ she said as she smiled and grabbed a tissue for her eyes. ‘You’ve always made me want to learn more and become a better person.’

Kump wasn’t the only friend of Liberi who expressed her feelings to the people in attendance. Krychelle Davis, an SU junior, was the next to speak about him and his impact on her life.

‘Before I met him, I didn’t know how to accept myself. He taught me how to look past the exterior of a person,’ Davis said.

As the ceremony ended, Rev. Sprinkler gave final thoughts.

‘Go in love, and may you know a mighty peace in your life,’ Sprinkler said.

And as Rev. Sprinkler left the podium, ‘Wake Me Up, When September Ends’ by Green Day played as people sat in reflection in the pews. Many wiped the tears from their eyes as others stood up to leave.

A reception followed at the LGBT Resource Center on Ostrom Avenue. However, it was at the memorial service that people had a chance to give final respects to Liberi.

‘May you never forget that you are loved,’ Garcia said.