Common Council visits the Hill for student Q&A session

Ask any average Syracuse University student about how the city council works or how their city is run, and a puzzled face might be the answer.

But on Thursday night, about 30 SU students gathered in Maxwell Auditorium to meet the Syracuse City Council and ask questions about topics that concerned both them and the city.

‘I think one of the biggest things that college students might not understand is how they can get involved within their local government whether they actually are a voting member of that government or not,’ said Michael Grzelak, president of the Residence Hall Association and moderator of the event.

The event began with councilors introducing themselves and giving a brief biography about how they got to their positions. The atmosphere was light-hearted, with jokes exchanged between councilors. This was quickly followed by a more serious tone as students started asking questions.

The night’s forum began with the topic of school funding and how inner city schools have inadequate textbooks, buildings and overall appropriate learning environments. The councilors then responded with answers about not having enough money from tax payers since most of the inner-city families cannot afford to pay those taxes.

‘Those families are not rich, they are far from rich. A family who is living in a $70,000 home cannot afford a four-percent increase in tax, and we need to find a way to fix that,’ councilor-at-large Stephanie Miner said.

Councilor’s addressed different topics as the event continued, especially about relations among families and students living near them off campus. Many councilors gave their thoughts, especially councilor Thomas Seals.

‘I used to live on 720 Euclid as a student, and the landlords used to make the attic a two-person room. Imagine a house that’s made for four people but has six people,’ he said.

‘Some people don’t want to risk parking illegally, so they park on their lawns. I wouldn’t want my family living near a place where there’s six cars parked on lawns,’ Seals said. ‘It’s basically an issue about the quality of living when it comes to students and families living near each other.’

The hottest topic of the event, however, was Destiny USA, a proposed retail and entertainment complex. Many students wanted to know from their city council members whether they thought this ‘green’ fantasy will actually become a reality.

Councilor William Simmons was skeptical about the idea.

‘We’re going to have to see some greenbacks,’ said Simmons, referring to the monetary situation, which drew laughter from the audience.

Other councilors shared his pessimistic point of view, with Miner stating that, in her opinion, ‘the futuristic Destiny USA you see on the Internet probably won’t happen.’

Many students chimed in on the topic, giving their opinions and ultimately agreeing with the councilors. As one student called the green project ‘all hype,’ many peers surrounding him nodded their heads in approval.

Once the councilors gave their closing statements, they were sent off with applause from the audience in thanks for their participation in the discussion. Many students thought their time with the councilors proved useful.

‘I think what they’re doing is great,’ said Jacque Opirhory, a sophomore education major. ‘From what I’ve heard about Syracuse’s past and what I’ve seen today, I think they’re doing a great job. They’re definitely on the right track.’

Others, who were from a university class, came for some special benefits.

‘I didn’t really know what I was expecting tonight, honestly. I do expect some extra points from my class, that’s what I’ll be expecting,’ said Allie Glass, an undecided freshman.

Whatever the case may be with the students in attendance, the moderator of the event thought something great was accomplished.

‘We had a good turnout, as far as the number of students,’ Grzelak said. ‘We had great questions as well, and I think we saw the true personalities of the councilors, that they are approachable people.’

For students that missed out on the night, there may be other chances to catch the leaders of Syracuse’s local government, Grzelak said.

‘We’re hoping to do it again,’ Grzelak said. ‘We’re excited to get the word out for following years and look forward to having another great turnout.’