Students in Goldstein react to speech they couldn’t attend

Whether they saw him in person or on the screen, Syracuse University students received Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. warmly – for the most part.

Most students enjoyed the speech, though some found Roberts an ‘interesting’ choice as the keynote speaker for the Newhouse III dedication ceremonies Wednesday.

Sonali Teli, a sophomore public relations major, thought Roberts’ appearance at a celebration for free speech was ironic.

‘I think what students probably had a really big concern about was his ruling in the ‘Bong Hits 4 Jesus’ case, which is what I wanted to hear about,’ Teli said. ‘I thought it was kind of ironic that Newhouse brought him to speak now and why he didn’t at least do some explaining for that.’

Teli watched the speech on a live video feed in Goldstein Auditorium, along with other students who could not get tickets to see Roberts in person at Hendricks Chapel.

Spencer King, a senior television, radio and film major, said he realized there were a lot of issues that Roberts had to more or less avoid.

‘He sort of made his speech more about the judicial system than about the First Amendment itself, and I guess I would have liked to hear a little less about the judicial system,’ King said. But, ‘I thought overall he did a pretty good job.’

Lisa Thalhamer, a senior broadcast journalism major who was able to attend the speech at Hendricks, was amused by students sitting outside of Hendricks holding a ‘Bong hits 4 Jesus’ sign.

‘I thought he was an interesting choice, given some of the recent Supreme Court rulings in regards to free speech,’ Thalhamer said.

Matt Crespy, a senior television, radio and film major, also expressed some surprise in the choice of the keynote speaker.

‘I was a little surprised because of his track record in the Supreme Court, considering his very conservative leanings,’ Crespy said. ‘But I think it was a good choice because he is a Supreme Court justice.

‘I’m not really sure how much of a ground-breaking speech it was,’ he said. ‘It was good for what the dedication was all about – honoring the First Amendment.’

Other students had higher praise for Roberts’ speech.

‘I thought it was really impressive,’ said sophomore Lori Mimnaugh. ‘It was an interesting spin that he put on it, how the courts play such a big role in protecting the First Amendment.’

Mimnaugh and her roommate Kelly Greenawalt, a sophomore in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, watched the speech live on the Orange Television Network from Watson Hall.

‘It was good,’ said Thomas Maxner, a freshman civil engineering major. ‘I liked the way he tied it all in together to the First Amendment.;