Thirsty Thursday : Ten beers to try before you die

Although my time here has come to a close, beer will not yield. Beer perseveres despite new jobs, graduation and goodbyes. Beer remains constant, and beer continues to flow.

So whether you’re moving on to bigger and better things, or not, the beer will always be with you. In fact, beer possesses a universal character found rarely in this world. There is no corner of the earth beer hasn’t reached and almost no culture that hasn’t brewed. Wherever you go, whatever you do, beer remains.

With the inescapable nature of beer in mind, I leave you with 10 beers to try before you die. You may not be ready for them when you find them. Their rich, bold flavors must be acquired for some, but remember and savor them. These are beers that define our time and place. They are celebrations of the senses, tributes to higher beings and for those who brew them, simply a way of life.

Trappist Westvletern 12

The most sought-after ale in the world, brewed by monks and sold from their monastery.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout

The only beer worthy of the title ‘Badass,’ but brewed once a year at a tiny Indiana brewery.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

One of the first and best big American beers. Packed with sweet malt and bitter hops flavors.

Samuel Adams Utopias

The strongest beer in the world (25 percent) and incidentally one of the most expensive.

Duvel

The true ‘Champagne of Beers.’ Perfect for all celebrations and widely available.

Tripel Karmeliet

A divine Belgian strong pale ale. Light, but never lacking in flavor.

Ayinger Celebrator

Dessert in a bottle. One of the tastiest dark beers available, but without the high alcohol of most legendary beers.

Arrogant Bastard Ale

More than a marketing gimmick, this beer is the real deal. You’ll see what arrogance tastes like.

Ommegang Hennepin

Best described as ‘funky,’ it pays tribute to the Belgian tradition of farmhouse brewing.

Middle Ages Wailing Wench

A Syracuse classic among beer lovers. Don’t leave town without trying this brash, hopped-up English-style ale.

Beer Bites

Must-have Syracuse beer experiences:

Middle Ages Tasting Room

120 Wilkinson St.

Visit Syracuse’s local brewery for free samples of seven different beers, with more available to sale.

The Blue Tusk

165 Walton St.

Amazing sandwiches atmosphere and 69 taps to choose from, ask for a sample before you order.

Kelly Cole’s

253 E. Water St.

The best burger and beer joint in town. Go before 7 p.m. on Friday to any of their 70 beers in 20 oz. pints for $3.50.

Clark’s Ale House

122 W. Jefferson St.

This place doesn’t mess around. It offers 22 taps, one fantastic sandwich and the best pub atmosphere in town.

Shifty’s

1401 Burnet Ave.

See the true ‘soul of Syracuse’ at this neighborhood bar. It’s only a few miles from campus and has great local color and a bottle selection.