Thirsty Thursday : Storm King Stout

Storm King Stout

Victory Brewing Co.

Four out of four mugs

Any other April, seniors would be left with a few beautiful weeks to enjoy before entering the real world. Any other April, the light and refreshing beers of summer would be coming into style to match the coming heat waves. This April, however, is a time for something stronger, a Russian imperial stout.

The legend goes that Russian imperial stouts began as a special brew to please a Russian czar in the 19th century. Still a knock-out by modern standards, traditional versions clock in between 7 and 9 percent alcohol by volume, while more extreme brews push 15 percent and beyond.

Victory Brewing of Pennsylvania brews a delicious example that won’t leave you on the floor. Its Storm King Stout pours an intimidating pitch black with a brown head and lacing around the glass. The aroma comes off surprisingly like an India pale ale, with strong citrus hops. The taste blends the hops flavors with smooth, rich dark chocolate and espresso, making for a complex, sipping drink.

This Russian imperial style, sometimes called a ‘double stout,’ doesn’t make for a great all-night beer, but pairs perfectly with desserts, or can stand alone at the end of a meal. Most interpretations of the style generally taste more of chocolate and make more suitable after-dinner beers. Local brewery Middle Ages Brewing Company brews its seasonal Dragonslayer, which can still be found on most grocery store shelves. Lagunitas Brewery of California also makes its Cappuccino Stout and Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout offers a more old-world taste. While a bevy of options exists when it comes to Russian imperial stouts, the good news is it’s nearly impossible to find a bad one.

Beer Bites

Konig Pilsener

Three out of four mugs

A mix of bready malts and dry herbal bitterness, a good alternative to a pale ale.

S’muttonator

Four out of four mugs

An extra dark and extra hoppy (bitter) version of the German doppelbock style.

Spanish Peaks Black Dog Ale

Three out of four mugs

Features a tasty mix of caramel malt and hops with a light, drinkable body.

Harbin Lager

Three out of four mugs

One of the best European pale-style lagers available. Beats out Heineken and Grolsch.