Men’s Lacrosse : Players’ hearing delayed

The pre-trial hearing for Syracuse men’s lacrosse players Pat Perritt and John Carrozza originally scheduled for Thursday afternoon was adjourned to a later date.

The Syracuse City Court has not set a new date for the hearing, but the players’ attorney, Gary Sommer, expects the date to be released within a few days, he said. Judge Vanessa Bogan will hear the evidence from both parties at the hearing and determine if there is enough evidence to proceed to a trial.

Sommer faxed a request to Bogan’s office Wednesday asking for the postponement.

‘Both sides were not ready to dispose of the case yet,’ Sommer said. ‘There’s usually a certain amount of investigation that needs to be done, both by the lawyers and by the district attorney.’

Assistant District Attorney Mike Mordue said such adjournments are not uncommon.

Perritt and Carrozza were arrested in downtown Syracuse on March 11 and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Carrozza was also charged with the criminal possession of forged New York state driver’s licenses. The police report stated both players were intoxicated.

The team had suspended the pair of midfielders indefinitely March 12. Perritt and Carrozza each issued public apologies March 28, during which they volunteered to perform community service. Perritt also said he was undergoing alcohol counseling and had stopped drinking.

The team then reinstated the players in time for a March 31 contest against Loyola College. They each missed two games.

Perritt and Carrozza were not available for comment before Thursday’s practice.

Sophomore midfielder Sean McGonigle’s pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Tuesday. McGonigle was arrested and charged with assault Feb. 15.

Lacrosse made national headlines Wednesday when North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced all charges against former Duke University lacrosse players Reade Seligmann, David Evans and Collin Finnerty, had been dismissed.