Thirsty Thursday : Bitburger Premium Pils

Bitburger Premium Pils

Bitburger Brauerei

Four out of four mugs

In the many styles of beer, none have been more bastardized than the pilsner. With roots dating back more than 150 years to the Czech town of Plzen, the light body and rich taste made it a beer everyone could love. In fact, German brewers liked the Czech, also known as Bohemian pilsners, so much, they made the own version.

German immigrants carried the style over to the United States, and all was good with the pale, pleasantly hoppy lager until Prohibition struck. Since then, the true meaning of pilsner in America has largely been lost. Mega-brewers like Anheuser-Busch and Miller based their flavorless brews off the style, often stealing the name, but with little flavor similarity. To this day, Miller Lite calls itself a ‘well-crafted pilsner’ and is only one of many watery beers trying to pull the same trick.

Not all hope is lost for the true pilsner. In fact, things are slowly getting better with a handful of authentic European and American pilsners available. Bitburger Premium Pils, a German pilsner, serves as a great example of an authentic pilsner and is possibly the best to be found in Syracuse.

Properly served in a tall, skinny glass, Bitburger appears a light, golden color with a white head. As a German take on the style, drinkers will find it more effervescent and a touch more bitter, though, not unpleasant. The aroma is bready and backed up by the smell of spicy hops. The flavor continues with a balance of the light, but full-flavored malts and herbal hops.

Bitburger, like its pilsner brethren, makes for an almost dangerously drinkable brew and a perfect choice for the warmer days to come. For more German pilsners, check out Brooklyn Pilsner and Victory’s Prima Pils. Some great Czech pilsners, such as Pilsner Urquell, Perla and Lagunitas Pils, can be found for something a little mellower. Just remember, when buying imported beer avoid clear and green glass bottles unless they’re concealed in a box. Otherwise you’ll be drinking a bottle full of skunk, and that’s just no fun.

Beer Bites

Sierra Nevada Stout

Four out of four mugs

Sets the standard for American stouts with a rich, roasted flavor. Yes, it’s better than Guinness.

Saranac Pomegranate Wheat

Two out of four mugs

A new Saranac for the summer. Not too sweet like other fruit beers, worth a try on a hot day.

Perla

Three out of four mugs

This Polish-made pilsner offers a mellower flavor that Bitburger. Another good step up from Bud Light.

Prima Pils

Four out of four mugs

Tastes like a European pilsner on steroids. Victory Brewing Co. has brewed up a heck of pils.