Q&A with Andrew Smith

The Daily Orange: How did you get a book published only a few months after graduation?

Andrew Smith: I actually sold (‘Crusader’) two years ago. I wrote it in the fall of 2003. This has been a long time coming for me.

D.O.: How would you categorize ‘Crusader?’

A.S.: It’s a fantasy adventure, but it’s a little less traditional of a fantasy book. That’s what I’d like to read; that’s what I like to write.

D.O.: Who are your influences?

A.S.: My two favorite fantasy authors are Simon R. Green and Neil Giaman, (who wrote) ‘Neverwhere.’ I haven’t read it, but he did the ‘Sandman’ graphic novels, which are pretty popular.

D.O.: What made you want to be an author?

A.S.: Really I want to be a rock star, but I’m doing the fantasy author thing to get girls. (Laughs) I decided I like the idea of getting novels in because there are less people around in the process to mess it up (than in writing for film).

D.O.: Where did you get the idea for ‘Crusader?’

A.S.: I thought of the setting first. I wanted a setting where all sorts of things could happen, all different people running around.

D.O.: How many books are in the Woven City series, or is it open-ended?

A.S.: I have a five-book arc planned. The second and third books are already done, and the second is awaiting publication.

D.O.: What parts of ‘Crusader’ came from your life experiences?

A.S.: I do all my writing in coffee shops, which is sort of where the tea shop idea came from. I’ve been to England before, so I love London. I spent most of the summer in Europe, so I tried to get around (to the places mentioned in the novel).

D.O.: What advice would you give students at Syracuse who want to be authors?

A.S.: Well, there’s a site called Predators and Editors (anotherealm.com/prededitors). It lists editors as well as literary agents. I wasted three months being strung along by an agent who turned out to be disreputable.

Andrew Smith’s Web site is www.kiltedassassin.com.