DiSalvo: Secret society of Ottos tougher than it seems

It’s time mascots get some respect.

Beneath the fur, capes and masks are men and women that are often the least acknowledged people in sports for their hard work.

Syracuse is lucky to have one of the most recognized mascots in the country in Otto, who is played by five SU students, three men and two women. Otto is quite popular, but few know what it takes to put on the show Otto does.

‘People think all we do is wave and walk around, but it’s an exhausting job,’ said Nick Natario, head manager of SU’s mascot program. ‘You have to constantly entertain people. It’s also probably 120 degrees in the suit.’

From making sure you’re not repetitive to dealing with exhaustion and heat, being a mascot is not an easy job.

Ben Youngerman, a manager of the SU mascot program stressed, to dispel rumors, that there is no fan in the suit to cool the inside. He added, ‘A few times, I’ve almost passed out.’

The suit also can’t be washed because it’s made out of foam. Febreze – which seems to be the answer to all of life’s obstacles – can’t be used because it’s not good to breathe in, Natario said. That leaves Listerine as the only option, and the fresh smell doesn’t always surface after jumping and rolling around for seven hours on game days.

For those who haven’t tried on their local team’s furry fixtures, it’s no joke. In high school, I was a vocal, insane and sometimes rude heckler in the stands. In a strategic move by the principal, I was called to his office and convinced to suit up as the Yellow Jacket for our school’s playoff basketball game.

I obliged, and lost about 10 pounds that night. I was covered in sweat five minutes into the game, could barely breathe or see, and ran out of material quickly, forcing me to just sting people.

That’s what makes Otto special during the football or basketball games. Otto’s material is fresh and his energy level high. It helps that in each quarter a different person is inside the suit. But still, it takes a great deal of game planning. While the football team looks at film, Ottos sketch out plans and brainstorm for new ideas.

‘Before the game you have to come up with skits and think of props you can use during the game to keep people entertained,’ Natario said. ‘If you just walk around giving high fives, it gets old.’

One idea to break up repetition is the brawl between mascots in the third quarter. Usually the mascots from both teams eat lunch at halftime and discuss the specifics. Sorry if I just spoiled that for anyone, but like the WWE, mascot fights are staged.

That doesn’t mean it goes as planned. Natario said four years ago, the West Virginia cheerer, The Mountaineer, broke the leg of the student playing Otto in a skirmish. He is now on the banned list of fighting opponents. Last year Natario was battling the Rutgers Scarlet Knight and the knight abandoned protocol and jumped on Otto – a sin because the home team is always supposed to be victorious. Natario furiously convinced the Knight to stand in front of the student section while he gave him a swift rolling kick.

It’s all part of the job for the Ottos. Their dedication is incomparable. Ottos are supposed to keep their identity secret so that people don’t see a friend or classmate, but Otto. In this case, though, to garner respect and attention to mascotry, they gave their names.

‘I get mad when people say, ‘Hey that’s Nick,” Natario said. ‘When I’m playing Otto I’m not Nick. I am completely different.’

That mascot personality is different with each of the five students.

‘Nick is just nuts,’ said Youngerman, whose own inspiration is the Philly Phanatic, the Philadelphia Phillies’ mascot. ‘One of our other people likes to be silly, and is a terrible dancer, but he tries and goes all out. Two others are more laid back, but they are good at their stuff. I like to do mischievous things and mess with people.’

For some this is just a temporary adventure. For Natario, it’s a lot more.

As the senior member of the group, Natario traveled to Vancouver in late July to film commercials as Otto in the Capital One Bowl mascot challenge. Twelve mascots are broken into one-on-one matchups each week, and America votes to determine its favorite. The group of Ottos, along with the help of SU cheers coach Dena Segbers, submitted a three and a half minute video to Capital One last May, and was selected in July.

Natario asked for everyone to vote. If he wins, an additional $5,000 (on top of the $5,000 already gained for being selected) would be awarded to the mascot program. It could be a great notch on his rsum, because he is looking to go pro as a mascot.

Natario definitely has the dedication, as does every other Otto, to succeed in cheering on the team and exciting the crowd. In fact, at the weekend in Vancouver, Natario was one of two mascots that didn’t talk or remove his suit in front of anyone once.

Considering the smell and the temperature inside, you’ve got to respect that.

Pat DiSalvo is a staff writer at The Daily Orange, where his columns appear every Tuesday. Email him at pjdisalv@syr.edu.