Meet me at the fair

The Great New York State Fair has been going on for a while now … OK, only six days, but that’s a long time when you consider how much livestock is involved. And as of Monday, attendance was down 29,755 people from last year. So it’s time to step up and get your fair on.

It’s important to think of fair attendance as a marathon, not a sprint, said Joe LaGuardia, the Fair’s marketing director. Attendance is down so far because of a weather forecast that’s been ‘nothing but ominous,’ but he expects to see a rise as the days go on.

Fortunately, this Saturday is Syracuse University’s official day at the Fair. Tickets are available for $5 with SU/ESF ID at the Schine Box Office, and free buses are available from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., departing from the front of Schine.

LaGuardia says this special admission day has been offered to SU students for the past three or four years.

‘It’s a great opportunity for kids who have been on campus for a week or 10 days to get out and see what the Fair’s all about,’ he said.

But we know what you’re thinking: fairs are for hillbillies and families with eight kids, right? Not so. Along with the traditional tractor pulls and goat showing are enough choices to please even the most finicky fairgoer. Here are some options if you’ve never been before – or have been enough times that you know exactly which cows to avoid.

For art majors with an interest in chemistry:

The Colored Chickens

Daily

We’ve seen them in pink, blue, green and every color in between. But this year’s flock features a zebra-striped array of colors. And like the rooster crowing that goes on every day at 11 a.m., these chicks are in a heated competition. LaGuardia says it’s more about bragging rights that accompany a blue ribbon rather than cash prizes, but we’re pretty sure a purple chicken is one of the coolest things ever.

For the junk food-enthusiast in us all:

Fried Fair Food

Daily

There are always the traditional corn dogs, French fries and elephant ears. But this fair food gets a little freaky. While carousing the midway, you’ll encounter everything from fried cookie dough to fried Snickers bars to fried spaghetti and meatballs on a stick, which LaGuardia says is this year’s new craze.

‘Where else can you go and find a product like that?’ he asked. However, as a card-carrying Italian, LaGuardia says he probably won’t be sampling the pasta concoction anytime soon.

It’s probably a good thing food like this doesn’t come with nutrition labels. Treat yourself – after all, you’re just headed back to dining hall food and Ramen anyway.

For members of PETA to avoid:

The Petting Zoo

Daily

The State Fair’s petting zoo is just like any other – sheep, goats and, oh yeah, zebras and giraffes. For a buck, you get a bag of baby carrots and are unleashed to feed at will. For free, you can pet whatever animal you please. But look out – giraffes are known for their unruly tongues.

For the well-tuned ear

The Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Ween and

Magic Numbers

Friday, starting at 5 p.m.

We’re pretty much drooling over this lineup – the Lips themselves are amazing enough to be the only act in this show, and rumor has it they’ll be unveiling some kind of spaceship. We wouldn’t be surprised if they bring aliens as well. Tickets are $35 or $40.

For the classy fairgoer

Wine Court

Daily

Here’s your chance to sample New York State’s finest Chardonnays, Merlots and Pinots – and take a bottle, or five, home with you. LaGuardia says it’s become one of the most popular areas on the fairgrounds, and for good reason – wine is a booming industry in the state. Just keep in mind you’ll have to pick up your purchases on the way out; there are no glass containers allowed on the grounds.

IF YOU GO:

What: The Great New York State Fair

When: Through Monday, Sept. 4

Where: New York State Fairgrounds; take 690W and follow the signs. Free buses are available in front of the Schine Student Center from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Cost: $5 with SU/ESF ID on Saturday at the Schine Box Office; $10 at the Fair gate all other days.