Diverse bands promise to juice up concert

Rock, hip-hop and everything in between – Juice Jam is back.

Tickets for University Union’s fourth incarnation of its fall festival went on sale Friday at the Schine Box Office. This year’s Juice Jam, which features rockers The Starting Line, hip-hop group Blackalicious and pop-punkers Motion City Soundtrack, will be held on Sunday, Sept. 3 in the Standart Parking Lot behind Lawrinson Hall. Doors open at noon, and the music starts at 1 p.m.

‘We wanted something that was very current and artists that would appeal to as many students as possible,’ said Emi Horowaka, University Union concerts co-director. She cited Motion City’s recent album success and the outdoor venue-friendly nature of both Blackalicious and Motion City Soundtrack as reasons the artists appealed to UU.

Juice Jam traditionally blends several different genres of music, and UU wanted to include more rock artists since they weren’t as well-represented in last year’s lineup, Horowaka said.

But music isn’t the event’s only draw. Three giant inflatable toys, a basketball hoop and a photo booth will provide entertainment, as well as the student activity fair. Food and drinks can be purchased inside the gates using cash or SUpercard money.

UU has heavily promoted Juice Jam during orientation events this week, and so far, the response has been great, Horowaka said.

‘People have seemed really excited,’ she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Juice Jam 2006

When: Sunday, Sept. 3, doors open at noon.

Where: Standart Parking lot behind Lawrinson Hall

Cost: $10 for students with SU/ESF ID, $15 for faculty/staff