Concert offers alternative event for holiday weekend

Long lines at the Schine Box Office this past week can only indicate one thing: Juice Jam has arrived.

The Starting Line, Blackalicious and Motion City Soundtrack will perform Sunday at 1 p.m. at the concert/fair strictly for Syracuse University and State University of New York-College of Environmental Science and Forestry students, faculty and staff. Inflatable moon bounces, games and photo booths will accompany the music in Standart parking lot, behind Lawrinson and Sadler residence halls.

According to Helen Koutsourades, UU public relations director, Blackalicious will most likely be the biggest surprise.

‘I had never heard of them,’ Koutsourades said. ‘When I did, I was dumbfounded. They’re like an alternative rap group.’

Zack Emery, a freshman biology major, agrees. ‘It’s not really rap,’ he said. ‘They’ve kind of got their own thing going.’

Students can also look forward to The Starting Line, a more mainstream pop-emo band. With hit singles like ‘Best of Me’ and ‘Hello Houston,’ the group will probably be the most familiar to concert attendees.

Motion City Soundtrack should also be a huge success, even if students have never heard the band’s sound before. With a noise similar to a combination of Panic! At the Disco and OK Go, Motion City Soundtrack boasts clever lyrics, upbeat rhythms and fantastic vocals — no whiny voices here. The group strays from the oh-so-common complaining, depressing lyrics for an optimistic and realistic message that college students can relate to.

‘They’re the ideal college band,’ said Jim Babbitt, a sophomore psychology and political science major. ‘If you’ve ever seen a Flaming Lips concert, they’re similar in that they do a lot of crazy stuff onstage.’

Koutsourades is excited for this year’s alternative music style.

‘The last couple years have seemed like a lot of rap and a lot less rock,’ she said. ‘We kind of wanted to put more alternative and rock into Juice Jam.’

The event is not just about the music, however. Clubs and organizations will set up tables containing sign-up sheets, flyers, stickers and pins galore. For those students who have been wondering what they will do with their spare time this year, this fair is the perfect opportunity to blow off some post-first week steam.

‘It’s great for freshmen to check out all the different organizations, and it’s good for anyone who wants to get involved,’ said Carissa Matthews, co-director of the UU promotions board. ‘It’s really a kick-off to the year.’

If You Jam

What: Juice Jam

When: Sunday, opens at noon, music starts at 1 p.m.

Where: Standart parking lot, behind Sadler and Lawrinson residence halls

How Much: $10 for SU/SUNY-ESF students, $15 for faculty and staff