Year in Sports : Carrying the Flag: John Desko is coaching the Powells again – on Team USA

Years ago, John Desko was the coach players sometimes feared running into on the sidelines of the lacrosse field.

But now a group of five former Syracuse players can’t wait to see him again.

The Syracuse head coach will greet his former players not in the orange and blue, but instead the red, white and blue. Desko was selected to coach the U.S. men’s team in July’s International Lacrosse Federation World Championship in Canada.

He will be coaching 23 players, 22 of which are professional lacrosse players, and one from the University of Maryland.

With nearly a quarter of the roster filled with former Orange – Pat McCabe, Roy Colsey and Casey, Ryan and Mike Powell – as well as the head coach spot occupied by Desko, SU is well represented in the games.

‘A coach told me once, ‘A lot of schools, they take a player and plant them in a pot,” Desko said. ”Syracuse plants them in the field, and when you plant them in the field, they grow bigger.”

And big they have grown. Under the tutelage of Desko – an assistant coach to some, head coach to others – the players excelled. So much so that a selection committee of 32 lacrosse coaches around the nation chose the five SU players to be on the team.

Much of the success circles back to the man on the sidelines.

Back when he coached the group of players on the USA roster, Desko was remembered for a few things. The former players praised his knowledge and coaching ability. But what stuck out in the minds of Colsey, Ryan and Casey Powell was that the coach was always animated and heated on the sidelines when they played. And although Colsey said Desko was ‘the boss’ at the college level, he – along with the Powells – can’t wait to see him again.

‘I was thrilled to learn that he’d be the coach of USA,’ said Colsey of the Major League Lacrosse’s Philadelphia Barrage. ‘And obviously even more thrilled that I made the team and that I’d get to play for him again. I hope I am smarter than I was in college.’

Desko said he thought he’d never get the opportunity to coach these players again and is excited to do so.

‘It’s a tremendous honor,’ Desko said. ‘Once they finished their eligibility, I thought I’d just be watching them play somewhere in the future.’

Even though the tassels, senior day and Carrier Dome are behind the players, they will be under Desko’s watch again. Although his former students say he has simmered down a little since they played, they are still looking forward to trying to impress ‘the boss.’

Desko wasn’t always intense on the sidelines. He sprinkled in a laid-back attitude at times to make sure he got the most out of his players.

‘I’ve played for guys who are all intensity all the time,’ Ryan Powell said. ‘I’ve played for some that took a laid-back approach. That’s the beautiful thing about coach Desko: He can play both sides. I think that’s his greatest attribute as a coach. Mix those things together, and you come up with a great coach.’

But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t demanding. He was still known for his wild side on the field.

Casey Powell hopes he has matured since college, playing for Desko when he was an assistant under Roy Simmons Jr.

‘He’s tried to kill me a couple times on the sidelines in college,’ Casey Powell said. ‘Hopefully I’ve grown as a player so he won’t have a vein popping out of his neck and be crazy, but it’s great to have the opportunity to play for him.’

It’s telling that Colsey, who graduated 11 years ago, and Casey Powell, eight years removed from college, still hope to impress Desko. The coach’s ability to command respect hasn’t worn off the players who passed through the Hill close to a decade ago.

‘I felt when I was there, he could do it on the field,’ Colsey said. ‘He’s a big man; his presence is very large. You were always careful about the way you conducted yourself.’

SU assistant coach Kevin Donahue said Desko’s large, physical demeanor causes players to pay attention. Donahue also said Desko’s ability to earn admiration was one of the reasons he was hired for the USA job.

‘He’s one of those guys that just his presence causes you to respect him and listen to what he’s saying,’ Donahue said.

‘He’s respected in lacrosse world. He’s got great communications with other coaches. They know who he is and respect him.’

It also, of course, doesn’t hurt when you hold a 92-29 career record as head coach, including a 17-4 postseason mark and three NCAA titles, in just seven years as the leader of the Orange.

Colsey said Desko was ‘easily the most knowledgeable coach I’ve had in my career.’ Donahue agreed, saying the one thing that makes Desko unique as a coach is his ability to understand the whole package, whether it is man up, man down, defense or offense.

That knowledge should serve the USA team well, especially when it comes to the fast-paced style of the world games. Many credit SU’s leader to be a great coach of transition lacrosse. Desko said it’s the Syracuse style of play that is reflected in the international game.

‘A lot of people have always said Syracuse plays lacrosse as it should be played,’ Desko said. ‘A little bit more aggressive and up and down the field, letting the players go a little more.’

Such success and knowledge has gained permanent reverence for Desko. Casey Powell said that he couldn’t wait to ‘go to battle for him.’

It’s just another token of admiration Desko has received. He’s had a huge influence on the players and has been a part of molding a near quarter of the team’s roster. Even though that number is remarkable, Casey Powell believes it’s not enough.

‘Well I think it would have been better if we had 20 Syracuse players on the team,’ Powell said.

Twenty or five, Desko is happy just to have the opportunity to represent the United States, and Syracuse too.

‘I’ve always seen the games from afar and watched them,’ Desko said. ‘Every four years you think about the world team and the honor it is for the players and the coaches. We’re not there yet, but if everything goes as it should, it’s very exciting just to be part of it all.’