Internet Corner: Hereisnewyork.org

It’s been almost five years since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and already two movies on the topic are slated to come out in the next year. At this point, who knows how appropriate or realistic they’ll be? If you’re looking for the best photo archive of that fateful day, visit hereisnewyork.org.

The site started as a gallery show in a storefront of Soho immediately after the attacks. Hundreds of photographers brought their art – from famous artists to everyday citizens with a disposable camera. The prints were displayed without a name; their only identifier is an ID number. This way, people buying prints have no idea how famous – or non-famous – their photographer is.

The site is more than just smoking buildings and people covered in soot. It captures the tragedy at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. It shows the aftermath, a New York trying to recover. Photo 6998 shows a man holding up a postcard of the Twin Towers over the hole left in the city skyline. Photo 0927 shows an arm being tattooed with the towers and a bleeding American flag. Number 0698 is a bumper sticker, stating, ‘Do not perform random acts of terrorism.’

As the day goes further and further back in our memories, hereisnewyork.org provides an important reminder of something we should never forget.