‘MVP ’06 NCAA Baseball’ EA’s newest pitch hits home with real-life game play, unique perspectives

‘MVP ’06 NCAA Baseball’ Procuded By: EA Sports Rating: 4 Stars

Kudos to EA Sports, which was able to bottle such a pure, exceptional sound in its latest video game: ‘MVP ’06 NCAA Baseball.’

‘Ping.’

The sound of a metal bat on a baseball is one of the many details captured in ‘NCAA Baseball,’ the first college baseball game on the market. It makes you long for the days of TPXs, chain link fences and sunflower seeds.

That’s why ‘NCAA Baseball’ is a successful game. The game makes for a nice compliment to ‘MVP Baseball,’ the major league equivalent.

It’s a breath of fresh air, really, a tangible sigh of relief not to play as Alex Rodriquez and Johnny Damon – Yankees stars whose millions don’t match their talent level.

In ‘NCAA Baseball,’ you feel the emotion. Heck, you see it. After a player hits a home run, the entire dugout clears to form a congratulatory circle around home plate. When there’s a close call at first base, the manager runs out of the dugout to contest the call, as if every mistaken umpire is costing him a chance to reach the College World Series in Omaha.

But fear not, fans of ‘MVP Baseball,’ the college version stays true to the EA Sports baseball form, with a few minor improvements.

First, is the hitting system that now utilizes the analog buttons to make a swing. It reduces button mashing, which is a perk for any gamer. To swing, users pull back on the right analog button, which cocks the bat in place. Press up on the button quickly to follow through with a swing.

It’s all about timing, patience and makes for a difficult offensive approach. Though, once you master it, it’s rewarding. It places the skill back in hitting.

The pitchers’ perspective is. As opposed to previous EA baseball games, you see the action from an outfield camera when you take the mound (the same camera they use for television). Once you’re at the plate however, you see the action from the umpire’s point of view.

Also, it’s refreshing to have so many teams to choose from. Each major conference is represented in the game, with real-life jerseys and uniforms: from the purple high socks of LSU to the straight brimmed caps of Stanford.

As EA Sports likes to brag – ‘If it’s in the game, it’s in the game.’