Internet Corner: New Facebook status

I’m not sure if this is an embarrassing admission or not, but my Facebook relationship status has never read ‘In a Relationship.’ That’s not to say I haven’t had my fair share of Syracuse booty, but maybe I’m just not that type of girl.

I’ve been resigned to the less thrilling ‘Single,’ or the less-telling blank for over two years now, and let me tell you, it’s pretty redundant. Fortunately, my prayers have been answered, because there’s a new status – ‘It’s Complicated.’

From my estimates, this new terminology covers pretty much everything from ‘Crazy’ to ‘I’m with fuck-buddy,’ ESPECIALLY the latter. Sometimes you’re just not ready to be ‘In a Relationship,’ but certainly aren’t single. And you wouldn’t want to insult the other party involved by leaving your status blank.

But this new relationship status also brings up the stalker issue. Remember in middle school when you used to fawn over the hottie on the other side of the cafeteria, then slip love notes into his or her backpack unnoticed? No? OK, so I’m alone on that one. Sorry, Danny.

‘It’s Complicated’ is a whole new level of this. If you’re in love with someone from afar, whether it’s your dining hall crush or your favorite member of the greek community, things can quickly become ‘complicated’ when your heart flops into your stomach. Granted, this person probably has no idea who you are, but that’s certainly no biggie.

So far, only 136 Syracuse University students have gotten into ‘complicated’ relationships, but I predict the status will become a phenomenon. Oh yeah, and they just added ‘engaged’ as well. Good thing that only applies to 39 of us.