Double Trouble: Chones brothers carry on family’s extensive basketball legacy

It all started out on the asphalt – as so many hoop dreams do. Each summer, it was the side streets of suburban Cleveland that served as their court. Not actual basketball courts or even hoops for that matter; simply side streets.

With Dad, a former NBA veteran, observing, the five Chones kids ran sprints – commonly known as ‘suicides’ – throughout the neighborhood. Sure, they loved basketball, but Dad knew best, and if his children were going to be good players, they had to be conditioned.

‘He was our conditioning coach,’ eldest daughter Kareeda said. ‘I remember those sprints too well. Even though there are a few years between us (kids), we all ran together.’

There are two things you need to know about the Chones family. First, they love the letter K. Second they are good – real good – at basketball.

All five of the basketball-playing kids – Kareeda, Kaayla, Kameron, Kyle and Kendall – ran.

When Syracuse hosts Colgate at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome on Saturday, Kyle and Kendall will be on display with the Red Raiders.

Father Jim, a 1973 second-round NBA draft pick, played 10 years in the league and won an NBA title in 1980 playing with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on the Los Angeles Lakers.

Running first and second down those suburban streets were Jim’s daughters Kareeda and Kaayla. Bringing up the rear, but only until they were about 10 years old, were triplets Kyle, Kendal and Kameron.

‘They caught up fast,’ a laughing Kareeda said.

Kaayla was a star at North Carolina State and now plays with the Washington Mystics of the WNBA. Kareeda had a successful college career at Marquette and currently works for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Sophomores Kyle and Kendall have been together since before birth. And when they are around you, it doesn’t come as a surprise.

‘I’ll bring them into my office,’ Colgate head coach Emmett Davis said, ‘and ask a question and they will both answer the same way at the same time. It’s kind of scary.’

The scary thing for the Red Raiders’ opposition this season is both Chones brothers have been wreaking havoc together for years.

In high school, Kyle struggled in Spanish, so the two switched and for a couple weeks Kyle – or so the teacher thought – showed great improvement.

‘I don’t know how we got caught,’ Kyle, who admits the brothers haven’t tried the same move at Colgate, said. ‘We have arguments like anybody, but we are always there for each other.’

Kyle, the trickster of the two, has also devised a plan in which the two would switch jerseys and confuse the other team. Aside from the risk of a technical foul, it is another example of how the two help one another.

‘On the court I think they complement each other very well,’ Davis said. ‘They have very different games, where Kyle is more of a perimeter player and shooter. Kendall gives us a post presence that – no disrespect to any of the guys we have here recently – this team has lacked.’

While the two might be identical off the floor, they are far from mirror images on it. Kendall has found more success than Kyle at Colgate, due to what Davis explains as more of a chance.

‘I think he has had a lot more of an opportunity,’ Davis said. ‘I don’t think (Kendall) is better than (Kyle) to be honest with you. On any night either can have a big game.’

Kyle bombarded the box score with 16 points and 10 rebounds in an early season win over Cornell. A couple weeks later, he had 11 points and 15 rebounds against Princeton.

On the other side of the reflection is Kendall. The Patriot League all-rookie selection last season had 20 points and 8 boards against Iowa last month. Since, he has spent time recovering from a sprained ankle, but will be in the line-up Saturday in the Dome.

‘Kendal is going to be a star in our league,’ Davis said. ‘He might not be a star at a different level, like a major conference. He might be a role player in that situation. He and Kyle both could some day be all-league players, but neither are consistent enough now.’

Consistent or not, Davis admits he loves the athleticism and versatility of both Kyle and Kendall’s games. He also admitted that in all his years of basketball, he’s never come across a family like the Chones.

‘Is there a family as good?’ Davis thought. ‘I think the Barry’s (Former NBA star Rick and his four NBA sons) are a good example of a family that might be just as talented. But this family has had great NBA players, WNBA players and several very good college players. I just wish there were a few more for me to recruit.’