Off-campus pet plot brings pony pal to South

My roommates don’t know it yet, but we’re getting a pet, and his name is Siglavy Gidrane.

I suppose we’ll have to work a little harder to keep Gidrane secret from the Department of Public Saftey. After all, he’ll probably be as tall as us, and I’m pretty sure we won’t be able to keep anything fragile in the house.

Lipizzaner stallions tend to be a bit rambunctious, you know.

Every little girl goes through a horse phase; so what if at 19, mine still isn’t over? Ever since I was a small little child, I’ve wanted to see the world-famous Lipizzaner stallions. My dream has been fulfilled, and I must admit, it was more than I ever could have imagined.

Let me set the scene for you so you’ll understand:

The air in the arena is crisp and cool (some may say from the ice hockey rink that was under the equine-friendly flooring, but obviously it was from anticipation and electric excitement). The crowd fills with 12-year-old girls, retired people and townies with mullets, all ready for an action-packed hoofed adventure.

We spot the band … er, horses … backstage and sneak a peek. Now, I was clearly excited, but the performers had to be more so; let’s just say one of the Lipizzaner stallions was in need of a mare. Stat.

The lights dim and sea-blue curtains (think cheesy mall fashion show) part, revealing our esteemed and not-so-world famous emcee, Troy Tinker, and mere minutes later, the audience is captivated by the graceful moves of the horses.

My heart leapt with rapture and girlish delight with each corbette and capriole. There was glitter in abundance, patriotic overtures and a sordid history of battle.

(Note to self: Train Gidrane to storm the chancellor’s office.)

Yes, I suppose it probably was embarrassing for my co-workers, who had to endure my unending clapping, ceaseless giggles and squeaks louder than any of the sixth-graders that surrounded us.

It was probably more embarrassing when I sat with my plush horse on my lap when the real one shook his groove thang to some swing music.

Well, they, too, will learn to love the Lipizzaner: I’m changing all of their backgrounds to special downloads from the official fan club Web page.

I obviously can die happy now. They’re flying horses … you can’t blame me. Just wait a few years, and you can check out Gidrane on the Quad, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Don’t tell DPS.