Bonislawski gains weight, starting job

Three autumns ago, Matt Bonislawski arrived in Storrs, Conn. with the expectations of very few. The gangly 6-foot, 3-inch quarterback achieved many high school records in his native Pennsylvania, but this was different. This was Division I-A football, and his size was in question.

Now a redshirt junior signal caller for Connecticut, Bonislawski earned his nickname, ‘Bones,’ for his gaunt appearance upon his arrival to the Constitution State, but at that time he didn’t earn instant respect.

‘It is tough to find the words,’ said former UConn QB and current Detroit Lion, Dan Orlovsky. ‘When he first got on campus, I really didn’t think he would have the chance to play. I didn’t have the gut feeling that this guy could be the leader of the team and make plays for them. He came in a pretty scrawny kid.’

Bonislawski is now the starting quarterback for the Huskies, a year after backing up Orlovsky. This season, his fourth in the UConn offensive system, Bonislawski is blossoming. His Huskies will play Syracuse on Friday at 8 p.m. at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn.

Orlovsky, who owns just about every UConn passing record (more than 10,000 yards and 80 touchdowns), talks to his former roommate Bonislawski (now 207 pounds) on the phone every day.

The Huskies (3-1, 0-0 Big East) run the same kind of scheme it has in each of its six years as a I-A program, but with Bonislawski under center they are more versatile. Bonislawski is completing nearly 58 percent of his passes (54-for-94, 585 yards) and has six touchdowns. On the ground he’s managed 152 yards – impressive, considering UConn has three backs that have more carries.

‘He has come a long way,’ UConn head coach Randy Edsall said. ‘I judge a quarterback by his record and he is 3-1 as a starter.’

Bonislawski has thrown four interceptions in 2005, three of them coming in his worst game – a 28-13 loss to Georgia Tech. But even if the Huskies’ other three opponents were Buffalo, Liberty and Army, it should be noted they outscored the opposition 144-13.

‘There are obviously things he needs to work on,’ Edsall said, ‘but he is ready to lead our football team. He is a very conscientious young man back who’s going to strive to get better each week.’

It was in the spring of 2004 that Orlovsky saw that strive and started to think his younger Polish protg might have a chance.

‘In the spring of 2003 I broke my foot,’ Orlovsky recalled, ‘and he took the No. 2 reps and he had a phenomenal spring. He threw the ball a lot better than I anticipated and that’s when I said this dude might really have a chance to do something.’

That dude has made the most of his opportunity, not only from a statistical standpoint, but also demonstrating leadership qualities. Last week against Army, leading just 24-13 in the midst of a sluggish performance, Bonislawski was seen challenging his unit in the huddle, yelling, pointing his finger and getting in everyone’s face. The result: 21 straight UConn points.

‘It didn’t surprise me,’ Orlovsky said, ‘because even at the end of last year he was leading. He has a personality that guys want to follow him.’

On top of that, Bonislawski doesn’t get rattled easily.

‘He doesn’t let things bother him,’ Orlovsky said, ‘He can let coach scream down his face in front of 60,000 people on national TV and act like he is throwing for 500 yards against USC. He doesn’t show you if something gets to him.’

Last Sunday, Bones turned 22, and while he may be resilient – in the pocket and on the run – he has only been tested once against Georgia Tech. Tomorrow night at Rentschler Field, the scrawny kid-turned UConn starter will set aside the game plans for Buffalo, Liberty and Army and face his first conference test in Syracuse.

Orlovsky will be watching.

‘I think he can be very, very good,’ Orlovsky said. ‘You don’t find a lot of college QBs who can run and throw effectively. I think Bones has a happy medium mix.

‘I haven’t seen them play yet; I’m looking forward to it.’