Members research artists for benefit

University Union Concerts is bouncing back this week after the lost opportunity for a Kayne West benefit show for victims of recent hurricanes.

UU Concerts Chair Adam Gorode said he is currently exploring options for a variety of different concerts, examining things such as artist availability and the availability of various venues.

‘To get the Carrier Dome for an event it seems like the stars need to align,’ Gorode said.

He also said he is waiting for a committee organized by Chancellor Nancy Cantor to organize a large benefit event on campus for hurricane victims to get up and running. The committee will be comprised of members of UU, the Student Association and SU administrators.

‘I’m really excited the Chancellor got involved,’ Gorode said.

While Gorode said his hope is for a benefit to occur this semester, it may not happen until the spring. Either way, Gorode promised a benefit show will happen one way or the other.

‘My work continues with or without a committee,’ he said. ‘At the end of the day I still need to book a concert.’

UU President Dennis Jacobs said Gorode will also be looking into options for a smaller concert this semester that would be funded through money already allocated during last semester’s budget process.

‘We’ve got a lot of work cut out for us,’ Jacobs said. ‘There is a lot still up in the air.’

Gorode said if a benefit event does work out this semester, UU Concerts may need to dip into the allocation for this semester.

SA has also been working to revise the organization’s constitution and financial code to rectify some of the problems it is has been having with funding student groups.

‘It doesn’t seem like anything is going to get pushed through until the new codes are passed,’ Jacobs said in regards to an amendment which was defeated last week which would have allowed student organizations to request funding for unplanned charity events.

‘Hopefully the codes will be a mix of what everyone can deal with,’ Jacobs said. ‘We can’t make everyone happy.’