Kanye concert still possible: Concert could raise a possible $100,000 to benefit Katrina victims

An emergency session of the Student Association will be held at 7:30 p.m. tonight in Maxwell Auditorium to consider additions to the finance codes that could allow University Union Concerts to book rapper Kanye West.

UU has been working for the past two weeks to secure a Kanye benefit concert at the Carrier Dome for victims of Hurricane Katrina. Representatives from UU appeared at Monday’s SA meeting to demand an explanation as to why SA could not authorize a loan to help fund the show.

UU has been negotiating with Kanye’s agent to bring his ‘Touch the Sky’ tour – featuring Common, Cold Digger, Keysha Cole and Fantasia – to the Dome for a tentative Oct. 25 concert that could raise an estimated $100,000 for the Red Cross to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims, said UU Concerts Chair Adam Gorode.

The additions to the finance codes would ‘make room for special circumstances that can’t be funded in a semesterly cycle, particularly community service and outreach programs,’ said SA Comptroller Andrew Urankar.

‘If the university were to pull together to make the show happen, then there is a possibility it will happen,’ Gorode said. ‘That goes from me to (SA president) Travis Mason to (UU President) Dennis Jacobs, to administration to everybody.’

Though the changes come in response to UU’s need for additional money, these changes would benefit all student organizations equally, Urankar said.

The additions are spearheaded by Urankar and SA Vice President for Civic Engagement Annie Dean.

Like the Constitution of the United States, the SA codes and rules exist to serve the people, and when it fails to do so, it must be changed, Dean said.

‘The Student Association is looking for a long-term solution and this is a short-term solution for a short-term problem,’ Dean said.

The additions were communicated to Finance Board members late Tuesday night for approval before the emergency assembly meeting could be held.

Dean had been working alongside UU on behalf of SA with administrators and local businesses to try and see if either a loan or sponsorship were possible.

‘Really, the power lies within the university and if the university won’t bend, we can’t make the administrators write a check,’ Dean said. ‘What the problem basically is is bureaucracy.’

UU originally hoped to use SA’s $126,000 in rollover funds, which come from money left unspent each year, and dip into its allocation for next semester, which is not allowed by SA’s finance codes, Urankar said Monday.

UU also could not use $188,000 in SA’s reserve funds because they are locked by university finance rules.

‘I don’t understand how that money got (to the reserve fund),’ Gorode said. ‘I don’t understand why there are no rules about loans or about how to get that money. I don’t understand why there are no rules.’

The unavailability prompted an argument between Gorode and SA president Travis Mason at Monday night’s general assembly meeting, which resulted in the two being quieted by SA Vice President Eric Crites.

Gorode took the floor, red-faced and tripping over himself in his frustration, to explain the situation to assembly members, demanding an explanation as to why past funding problems had not been resolved yet.

Throughout the past few years, and especially the last two semesters, UU has struggled to book major artists because it is funded on a semesterly basis, as are most student organizations. By the time UU received its allocation, it was too late to schedule its top choices.

Most notably, UU lost bids for Trey Anastasio, the former Phish frontman, in November of 2004. Earlier this year, UU was unable to book Green Day for Block Party.

Last semester, SA’s cabinet rejected a proposed amendment that would give UU yearly funding, saying that the changes were presented too late in the year.

At Monday’s meeting, Gorode and Mason fought about the timeline of when UU first presented a temporary ‘Band-Aid’ solution, with Gorode saying that Mason was aware of the idea in February, and Mason saying that SA was not made aware of it until far later in the year.

Gorode said all Mason has accomplished since starting his term in January was naming the student section in the Dome and developing the OrangeSeeds program, and that Mason could have been doing a better job as president.

‘Look at these people and tell them they’re not doing their jobs,’ Mason said, gesturing toward the Assembly. Mason defended the Assembly, explaining SA is currently reworking its constitution and finance codes, which could help solve some of these issues for the 2006 to 2007 school year.

‘No, I’m looking at you and telling you you’re not doing your job,’ Gorode fired back.

Despite harsh words during the SA meeting, Gorode, Jacobs, UU Vice President Wayne Horton, Mason, Dean and Crites met afterward to discuss Tuesday’s efforts to make the funding possible.

Administrators have been unable to authorize loaning UU the money because it would require making a new rule and set a precedent that could cast doubt on SA’s reputation, Dean said.

‘We’re getting a lot of resistance from the members of the Syracuse community because of the implications and effects it would have on the legitimacy of SA,’ Dean said.

Associate Dean of Students and SA adviser Roy Baker did not return messages for an interview.

Dean said though the outcome of this issue was not ideal, a ‘Band-Aid’ solution would undermine SA’s policies and current actions to rectify the problem with a long-term solution. She said that everyone has expressed support for UU.

‘Everybody is working for the same goal and in the same interest,’ Dean said. ‘It’s just being manifested in different ways and in different lengths of time.’

Chancellor Nancy Cantor expressed dismay at not being notified of the funding issue previously, questioning why nobody approached her about the issue earlier.

She also said in an e-mail it was her understanding after discussion with Senior Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs Barry Wells that the university had a policy prohibiting events such as the Kanye West concert on class nights.

Rapper Snoop Dogg performed at the Carrier Dome for UU’s Block Party on Sunday, May 1, Gorode pointed out.

Additionally, filmmaker Michael Moore spoke in the Carrier Dome on Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2004. The Roots performed in Goldstein Auditorium on Tuesday, April 12.

Despite initial conflicts with SA, Gorode said he understands its limitations and appreciates the Finance Board’s, Urankar’s and Dean’s efforts.

Students and Assembly members need to come to the meeting to show their concerns about not only the programs, but also the events in New Orleans, Jacobs said.

‘It’s going to be a big test for everybody because you come from the other meeting where (Gorode) kind of got up there just kind of laid it out for everybody,’ Jacobs said. ‘Some people kind of walked away feeling hurt and angry and some people walked away feeling concerned.’