Juice Jam touts emo headliner

University Union will kick off its year with a bigger, louder and stronger Juice Jam on Saturday.

Emo artist Dashboard Confessional will headline the second annual outdoor concert, to be held from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Standart parking lot behind Lawrinson Hall. Ozomatli and Robert Randolph and the Family Band will round out the roster.

Over 100 student organizations–nearly twice the number involved last year–will have tables and events, games or concessions at the festival, said Adam Gorode, UU Concerts chair.

Events will include bouncy boxing, an American Gladiator-style joust and a 30-foot slide.

Five thousand available tickets, up from 3,000 last year, are on sale in the Schine Box Office for $7 for students. Tickets are not on sale to the public, but students can bring a guest for $15.

The eclectic mix of bands will provide something for everyone, Gorode said.

Ozomatli, recently nominated for two Latin Grammy Awards, is a 10-person band with horns and a DJ. Robert Randolph is a four-person band playing everything from basses to organs.

‘They’re notorious for some of the best live shows ever,’ Gorode said. ‘There will definitely be dancing.’

Jess Lipschutz, a freshman broadcast journalism major, is coming for Dashboard but is interested to see how the Dashboard and Randolph fan groups interact.

‘It’s going to be two very different crowds,’ she said. ‘One is very emo, one is very Phish-esque.’

With just one week to promote the event, UU members have been scrambling to get a t-shirt, water bottle or nostalgia-inducing slap bracelet to every student. Posters appeared on Marshall Street less than an hour after Gorode and Marketing Chair Josh Roth finalized the design.

Last year’s Juice Jam audience was mostly freshman, who heard about the concert during orientation. Gorode said he hopes the success of last year’s concert, the first outdoor Juice Jam, will attract more upperclassmen.

About 500 tickets had sold as of Saturday morning, Gorode said. Though the numbers are low for only six days until the concert, Gorode said he’s glad because freshmen and upperclassmen will have an equal chance to get the tickets.

‘It’s a kick-off to the year,’ he said. ‘There was never just one event that people could come out, hear some music and hang out with some people that aren’t necessarily freshmen, too.’