FOOTBALL: SU expects big year from ‘Gentle Giant’

Every day during the winter, Syracuse football team senior defensive end James Wyche heard the same question from head coach Greg Robinson:

‘What do you weigh?’

Wyche always fired back with a number a little bit lower than the desired 267 pounds, prompting Robinson to remind Wyche to gain a few more pounds.

‘He made sure I ate breakfast every day,’ Wyche said.

Wyche not only hit the cafeteria line at least three times a day, but also the weight room daily. His three seasons at Syracuse have been consistent, but never stellar. Wyche’s 15 tackles for losses and 5.5 sacks led SU last year.

With one season left Wyche seems intent on maximizing the potential of his 6-foot-7-inch frame. He will anchor a defensive line that returns three starters, including both tackles – senior Kader Drame and sophomore Tony Jenkins – and a defensive end Ryan LaCasse, who registered five sacks last year.

‘(Wyche) sets the tempo. He comes out with energy and a spark,’ senior offensive lineman Steve Franklin said. ‘He wants to be a better defensive end this year.’

Wyche’s work ethic throughout the winter will certainly help, but a change in defensive philosophy might aid the senior even more. Robinson uses a 4-3 defensive alignment that will attack the ball with more aggressive schemes and additional blitzes.

Wyche won not only the 100-and 200-meter dash in track as a senior in high school, but was also the anchor on the 4X100 medley relay. His speed should come into play more if the new staff lets him attack the quarterback.

‘We’re focusing on getting to the ball,’ Wyche said. ‘We’re all going to come out after turnovers. It’s going to be great. It’s going to be a better performing defense.’

New defensive line coach Tim Cross, who was the strength coach at Texas with Robinson, loves what he sees from Wyche. Cross and Wyche have developed a close relationship in three months with Wyche likening Cross to an additional father whom he can speak with at any time.

Cross said he wants to just hug Wyche because of his likable demeanor. Then again, he’s learned that’s not always the best decision.

‘I don’t even like to joke around with him too much or horse around because he’s heavy handed,’ Cross said. ‘He’s extremely physically gifted.’

Cross likes Wyche’s leadership even more. That surprises Wyche’s high school coach, Joe Vito, who described Wyche as quiet and a ‘gentle giant.’

Vito recently spoke with a few members of the SU coaching staff, who told him that Wyche was being more vocal. It delighted Vito.

‘Maybe he’s coming out of his shell,’ Vito said.

Vito remembered one time during Wyche’s senior season when a referee came to the sideline and warned him about Wyche talking too much. But Vito couldn’t believe that it was Wyche because he never spoke off the field.

After suggesting to the referee that maybe it was another player, the referee came back and confirmed it was Wyche.

‘I didn’t know he was as vocal on the field as he was,’ Vito said. ‘But James has a way on the field. He’s very unassuming.’

Wyche didn’t even crack the Roosevelt High School starting lineup until his junior season. He started as a skinny, 6-foot freshman who Vito never noticed.

Wyche’s senior season attracted attention from college recruiters. He grew from 6-feet tall to 6 feet, 4 inches, 225 pounds. He dominated opponents with 17 sacks, 83 tackles and two blocked punts. Vito recalled one game where Wyche tackled the quarterback on an option play on the opposite side of the field, chasing him down from behind.

Wyche didn’t just do it once, either. He did it three times.

‘I’ve never seen that before,’ Vito said, ‘and I probably will never see it again.’

Wyche narrowed his college choices down to Michigan State, Iowa and Syracuse. Wyche chose SU based on its proximity to home, allowing his parents, Delores and James, the opportunity to watch him play. He redshirted his freshman season and learned from current NFL star defensive end Dwight Freeney.

Syracuse can only hope that Wyche improves nearly as much between his junior and senior season as he did in high school. If Wyche maximizes his potential, NFL teams are sure to notice him.

‘I would believe he has that opportunity,’ Vito said of playing in the NFL. ‘But it’s not something we talk about.’

Steve Franklin has practiced against Wyche, so he knows his athletic ability first hand. Franklin shakes his head at the thought of going one-on-one against him.

‘His arm length is really long,’ Franklin said. ‘He can strike an opponent before an opponent can put their hands on him. That’s a big plus right there.’

Franklin thinks Wyche will perform as one of the top defensive ends in not only the Big East this fall, but the country. With Wyche’s upper body strength, athleticism and wing span, Franklin said Wyche might record as many as 15 sacks this year.

But like everyone else, Franklin understands the potential Wyche possesses. It’s just a matter of finally cashing in.

With that in mind, Franklin’s not wasting practice opportunities with Wyche.

‘Get as many reps as you can with James Wyche,’ Franklin said, ‘because he will prepare you for the season.’