Student’s arraignment delayed

Brian T. Shaw, facing charges of second-degree murder for the death of his child’s mother, had his arraignment delayed until 2 p.m. Friday.

Judge Langston C. McKinney said he needed more time to review the materials before he could continue with arraignment proceedings. He did, however, set a $1,000 cash bail for an outstanding traffic warrant for a failure to appear in court to face charges for a September 2003 infraction.

Shaw was led into the courtroom in shackles and immediately began to mouth a message to his family and well up with tears.

‘Are you Brian Shaw?’ McKinney asked.

‘Yes,’ Shaw responded with his head hung and barely audible voice cracking.

Both of the children of victim Chiarra Seals were in attendance with aunt Janet Phillips. The oldest, Shaw’s daughter, was wearing a black and pink jacket while her younger brother rested next to her wrapped in a blanket. The younger child was not fathered by Shaw.

Shaw is accused of killing Seals Wednesday evening at her Jasper Street home and then attempting to conceal the body on Avondale Place, a few blocks from his Columbus Avenue home. He is currently a Syracuse University senior enrolled through University College and is a member of the SU cheerleading squad. He is also a brother of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, some members of which attended the 10 a.m. arraignment along with about 50 others.

‘I’ve never seen him before, so I wanted to see him,’ Phillips said.