Pitt linebacker Blades plays in honor of uncle killed in car accident

Horatio Benedict Blades is burning bright as a star in the last place his family would have expected to find him, the inspiration for his tireless work ethic and inner desire coming from a lost uncle.

Blades – Pittsburgh’s strong-side linebacker – goes by H.B. A sophomore who was highly recruited, highly touted and highly talented is most recognized for his last name. In a conference that has seen three previous Blades, the fourth seems to be on a path different than that of his father and two uncles.

The family name has been associated with Miami – and the Big East – for parts of three decades now, and the same name, unfortunately, has been linked with hardship.

H.B.’s father, Bennie (1984-87), and uncles Brian (1984-87) and Al (1996-00) starred at Miami. His father Bennie was a two-time All-American at Miami as a defensive back that brought South Beach a national title. On the other side, at wide receiver, was his uncle Brian.

H.B. is the youngest in the football family which has produced three professionals.

‘I haven’t met my expectations yet,’ Blades said. ‘I want to keep getting better as a player and put myself in a position to be in the NFL and be a professional.’

The brothers moved on to the NFL – but turmoil and tragedy followed the trio. Bennie was an all-pro with Detroit in 1991 during his 10-year NFL career. He was estranged from H.B. and has come to a handful of his son’s collegiate games. Bennie pleaded guilty in August to a felony count of unpaid child support. He owed $298,000. Bennie was unavailable for comment.

Brian Blades had a four-year NFL stint, but he faced a more memorable manslaughter charge.

On July 5th, 1995, while trying to play peacemaker in an argument between his cousin Charles Blades and Charles’ girlfriend, Brian went and got a gun. Blades’ semi-automatic pistol was not loaded with live ammunition, but it accidentally fired, killing his cousin. Brian initially pleaded no contest, followed by a plea of not guilty. It first resulted in a conviction, and it was finally overturned by the judge that would set Brian free.

The shooting took place in Plantation, Fla., where 11-year-old H.B. was being raised by his grandparents. Under the same roof was H.B.’s youngest uncle, Al.

‘We were like brothers,’ Blades said. ‘Most of all, I remember playing tackle football in the front yard. He would teach me the game; he would teach me to have fun. He always wanted me to have fun.’

Al would be the Blades’ next Hurricane, staring at cornerback a decade after his eldest brother made the family name famous. Al wasn’t the star that his brothers were – but he still managed to get his chance, playing with the San Francisco 49ers (2001-2003).

Al alone supported H.B. in his decision to go to Pitt. Less than a month after H.B. signed with the Panthers, tragedy struck. Al perished in a car crash in 2003 at the age of 26. ‘That was tough,’ Blades said. ‘I was just out of it for a while after that.’

So the youngest Blades became a Pitt Panther with the wishes and blessings of his late uncle and close friend. Now, Pitt’s defensive leader in tackles and INTs plays for his uncle Al each time he takes the field.

‘Al watches over me,’ Blades said. ‘He is a huge part of my life. He is always in my heart and in my mind.’

H.B. writes an ‘A’ on one wrist and an ‘L’ on the other before every game. Then he says a prayer in the end zone for Al.

When the clock is running and he is on the field, Al’s spirit is also with him. H.B. says among his father and uncles, his game most resembles Al’s.

‘Trash talking,’ Blades said, ‘he taught me how to talk, too. He used to talk all the time, and he gave me that. I talk to anybody on the field. The game is all mental, and when people are tired and beat up, I just keep talking.’

In his sophomore campaign, the linebacker has played well enough to earn Big East Defensive Player of the Week honors as well as put Pittsburgh (5-2, 3-1 Big East) in a position to compete for the league title.

He has also earned the approval of head coach Walt Harris.

‘H.B. has been the backbone of our defense,’ Harris said. ‘He showed signs of what he could do last year, and this season it has really all come together.’

From the house in Plantation to the bright lights of Heinz Field, Blades molded himself into a defensive stopper and a future NFL player.

‘Adversity is going to happen, you just have to stay strong,’ H.B. said. ‘The reason I play every day is him (Al). Everything he taught me on and off the field is with me.’

In case you missed the bird …

West Virginia caught a scare from Rutgers this past weekend, and Chris Henry gave the Scarlet Knight faithful his choice finger. After corralling a game-winning touchdown pass against the Scarlet Knights, a Rutgers defensive back landed on Henry. The star wideout took notice and tossed the ball at the defender – right in front of two officials.

‘I told him it was embarrassing,’ WVU head coach Rich Rodriguez said. ‘It’s embarrassing to himself and embarrassing to the program.’

Henry was ejected from the game for the chuck (two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties result in an automatic ejection). Henry retreated to the bench, where he was heckled by the fans. He responded by turning around and flashing his middle finger. ESPN Plus caught the live gesture, but quickly diverted the camera from the shot. Henry will not be suspended.