Rise in robberies influences security

Campus Hot News safety alerts have been making a regular appearance in the e-mail accounts of Syracuse University students due to a recent spike in the occurrence of robberies in the university area.

A spike in robberies around campus is not unusual at the beginning of the school year, however, said Sgt. Tom Connellan, of the Syracuse Police department.

‘When students return, we usually see an increase in robberies,’ Connellan said. ‘During the summer there just isn’t the same kind of activity.’

In the past month, there have been six robberies or attempted robberies reported around campus, three of which occurred on or near East Colvin Street, just north of South Campus. Suspects in the three East Colvin Street attacks were all similarly described as males with their faces covered by either ski masks or stockings.

Michael Lemm, lieutenant of investigations for the SU Department of Public Safety, said the area around East Colvin Street is not SU property, and the police are stepping up security there.

‘We are working in conjunction with the Syracuse police to increase patrol in the area,’ Lemm said. ‘DPS frequents East Colvin as well.’

As for the investigations concerning the recent robberies and attempted robberies, no arrests have been made in any of the cases nor are there any suspects identified by police. But, Lemm said, the investigations are ongoing. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Public Safety.

To keep students aware of robberies and other crimes committed around campus, Public Safety sends out notices through Campus Hot News e-mails and Posted Alerts, which are placed in most academic and residence hall buildings.

‘I find all this news scary,’ said Monica Sathyamurthy, a freshman at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry. ‘I have to work until midnight each night and I make my roommate and her boyfriend walk with me now.’

Students are encouraged by Public Safety and the police to travel in groups of three or more, stay in well-lit areas and be aware of their surroundings. In cases of a robbery, students should comply with their attacker’s demands and get as detailed a physical description of the suspect as possible.

Physical descriptions are important because robbery victims are taken to the police department to look at a lineup of digital photos of suspects.

‘The key is to be a really good witness. Pick up on anything unique, such as tattoos, and look for physical features only,’ Connellan said.