Navy senior serves country, battles rigors of college life

Navy football senior Josh Smith can say something that most college football players can’t: ‘Last summer, I flew in an F-14.’

Along with being a safety and defensive captain for the Midshipmen, Smith made eight carrier takeoffs and landings in one of the U.S. Navy’s most powerful aircrafts. He will lead the Midshipmen this season, coming off one of Navy’s best years in recent history.

‘It’s a great opportunity to be part of this rich tradition,’ Smith said. ‘I’m happy to be a part of it and leave my mark on Navy history.’

After flying in jets during the summer, coming back to school for his senior season would seem a bit tame, but Smith disagrees.

‘There’s discipline at whatever school you go to,’ Smith said. ‘But here, there’s definitely more because of our time restraints. I don’t get back to my dorm room very much during the day.’

Smith isn’t alone. Most players at the Naval Academy spend almost 12 hours a day away from their dorm room, leaving to be in formations with their company at 7 a.m.

‘We know we gotta work when its time to work,’ Smith said, ‘But I still find time to play some PlayStation.’

The Midshipmen attend their first four class periods between 7:55 a.m. and 11:55 a.m., followed by a 15-minute lunch period. Then, football players have an hour of team meetings followed by their last two classes. After those are over, the team has practice, which concludes with a team dinner at 7:15 p.m. The schedule can be even more strenuous for players with injuries, who have to be ready for treatment at 6 a.m.

Surgery forced Smith to miss last year’s Army-Navy game, but he remembers playing in the annual contest two years ago.

‘Everyone here at school got to go home (for Thanksgiving break), but we had to stay and practice in the cold,’ Smith said. ‘It was 40 degrees, but we knew what we were there for. This is a great rivalry.’

Though bitter rivals, Army and Navy players and students have mutual respect for one another, knowing they will soon be serving their country together around the world.

Smith and other Navy seniors attend regular meetings regarding their postgraduate service, and he was convinced last summer to pursue a career as a Naval aviator. He doesn’t mind that he won’t play in the NFL, which is a dream of most college players.

‘I went to Navy for football and for service,’ Smith said. ‘I get to serve my country, and get to do everything I want to do in life once I get out of school.’

After talking to former teammates, who are currently officers in the Navy, Smith said he has gotten a grasp of what he will be doing once he graduates.

‘Service will be tough because you don’t get to see your family,’ Smith said. ‘Right now I’m a little antsy, but I’m looking forward to it.’

Senior Day at Annapolis will be a little different for Smith and his senior teammates this year. It will be their last football game, trading the battlefields of the gridiron for the battlefields of the world.

‘At other schools, you’re playing for alumni, students and fans of the team,’ Smith said. ‘When you play for Navy, you’re playing for the whole country. You’re not just playing for yourself.’

SYRACUSE (+12) AT NO.24 PURDUESunday, 1:30 p.m. ABC

The name and logo will be the only new thing the Orange will bring to the field this season. Look for Pasqualoni’s crew to continue in their mediocre ways, starting with a loss to No. 24 Purdue. SU running back Walter Reyes will have a good game, but it won’t be enough to beat the Boilermakers, especially away from the Carrier Dome.Pick: Purdue 31, Syracuse 10

DUKE (+7) AT NAVYSaturday, 6 p.m. Regional TV

Duke will always be a basketball school, and Navy is coming off one of its best seasons in recent years. Not to mention, the game is in Annapolis and Navy has 15 returning starters.Pick: Navy 24, Duke 14

No. 5 FLORIDA STATE (+2.5) AT NO. 6 MIAMI (FL) Monday, 8 p.m. ABC

It was a state rivalry at first, and on Monday the two teams will play for the first time as Atlantic Coast Conference rivals. There’s no better way to start the college football season than a matchup between Florida State and Miami. This is a tough one, but Miami will pull out with the win, riding on home field advantage.Pick: Miami 17, FSU 14

OREGON ST. (+18) AT NO. 3 LOUISIANA STATESaturday, 5 p.m. ESPNComing off a co-national championship, the Tigers will not lose to Oregon State. LSU has an underrated offense. Look for it to dominate this season, while facing one of the toughest schedules in the country.Pick: LSU 38, Oregon 13

CINCINNATTI (+15.5) AT NO. 9 OHIO STATESaturday, 12 p.m. ESPN Regional

Ohio State boasts one of the nation’s top linebackers in A.J. Hawk, and has a tough defense. Ohio State can’t afford to lose to the Bearcats if it wants to climb in the rankings, but it won’t have to worry considering the Bearcats will have a hard time getting much done on offense. There’s too much at stake for the Buckeyes, and they won’t lose.Pick: Ohio St. 35, Cincinnati 9