Gibson’s ‘Passion’ accurate

Do you remember the controversial art of Andre Serrano? It was called ‘Piss Christ.’ It was a crucifix in a jar of urine. It was displayed in various museums and exhibits throughout the country and was praised for how it represented the artist’s disdain for religion. We were told to be tolerant and understand the artist’s denigration while disregarding our own personal standards of decency.

Yet, many of the very same people who supported Serrano are now assailing Mel Gibson and his artistic production of the final hours of Jesus Christ. Instead of defending and respecting Gibson’s freedom of expression, they hypocritically complain that his production is anti-Semitic towards Jews and exhibits over-gratuitous violence. But wasn’t Serrano’s art offensive to Christians?

First, the violence in the movie is not over-gratuitous. Gibson has openly stated that he wanted to visually show us the actual pain and suffering of Jesus Christ. This violence actually happened.

Secondly, this film does is not anti-Semitic. Gibson has stated that his production was based on a strict and literal interpretation of the first four Gospels of the Bible.

The Gospels state that in the area of the Roman Empire where Jesus was eventually crucified, the high priests believed that Jesus’ popularity and growing following was a threat to their religious reign. It was only after the urging and convincing of these high priests that action was taken by Roman guards to crucify Christ.

If you are a believer or have knowledge of Christ’s teachings, it really doesn’t matter who killed him. He knew he was going to die and he knew he had to die and resurrect in order to save us all.

Anyone who has read or is familiar with the Gospels, specifically in regards to the last days of Christ, will conclude that Gibson’s interpretation is an accurate depiction, dramatized obviously for effect to show the suffering – the passion – that Christ experienced.

If you have any interest in seeing ‘The Passion of the Christ,’ I suggest reading the four Gospels in regards to Christ’s final days; then see the movie and come to your own conclusions. After all, God did give us free will and the power to think.

Christopher N. Malagisi is pursuing a master’s of public administration at the Maxwell School. E-mail him at cnmalagi@maxwell.syr.edu.