Friars, Pirates stir Big East picture with surprising play

Seton Hall and Providence felt forgotten. Each finished in third place in its respective division of the Big East but neither made it to the NCAA Tournament. The 2003-04 season would be a season of reckoning.

In the preseason Big East Coaches Poll, Providence and Seton Hall were expected to finish fifth and sixth, respectively. Both teams, though, have proved to be better teams than once thought. Unlike last season, each is likely heading to the NCAA Tournament.

‘Our guys have improved collectively and individually,’ Providence head coach Tim Welsh said. ‘We’ve put ourselves in a good position to date.’

The fact that No. 13 Providence (19-5, 10-3 Big East) is ranked second in the Big East doesn’t surprise Welsh, and he said it shouldn’t surprise anyone else. Last season, the Friars won eight of their last 11 games and five of six conference games. This season, they returned all five starters, including preseason Big East first team member Ryan Gomes.

‘They have two players, Gomes and Douthit, who are as skilled as anybody in the league,’ Villanova head coach Jay Wright said. ‘They’re playing at a confidence level that is unmatched.’

Wright said he saw some resemblance between this year’s Friars and last year’s national champion, Syracuse, especially in their zone defense.

Impressive wins on the road against teams like Boston College and Seton Hall improved PC’s ranking. The Friars’ most impressive win came in a 66-56 victory over No. 8 Connecticut (22-5, 10-3).

‘We’ve always been a pretty good road team,’ Welsh said. ‘On the road, you’re kind of in a fight by yourself. We’re not intimidated by any situation, and that’s a positive.’

The current position of Seton Hall (18-7, 8-5) shouldn’t come as a surprise either, since the Pirates were the only team in the Big East to return three starters averaging in double figures last year – Andre Barrett, John Allen and Kelly Whitney.

Like Providence, the Pirates have pulled off impressive wins against Syracuse (18-6, 8-5), and Providence along with dealing No. 3 Pittsburgh one of its two losses (24-2, 10-2).

Barrett hit his second of two free throws to give the Pirates a 68-67 victory over Pittsburgh. Despite tough defense and fast-paced play from the Panthers, Barrett committed no turnovers in the game.

‘It was just one of those games where we fought to the end,’ Seton Hall head coach Louis Orr said. ‘It was a war, and we hung in there. We didn’t quit.

‘Any win at this point is a win in the right direction. Any time we get a chance to beat a ranked team, its just another feather in your cap.’

The recent success has earned both Providence and Seton Hall respect in the Big East. No longer do coaches take games against these two teams lightly.

‘Providence is playing really well,’ Boston College head coach Al Skinner said. ‘They’ve got one of the premier players in the league in Gomes, and I think they’re doing a very nice job.’

Both Providence and Seton Hall are likely candidates for NCAA Tournament bids in 2004. Orr is making sure his Pirates don’t take anything for granted, though.

‘Every win is a good win in the direction of the postseason,’ Orr said. ‘I don’t want us to relax. I want us to continue to get better and approach each game with the same energy.

‘At the end of the day when all is said and done, every game is important.’

Red Storm brewing

After a season plagued with failure and controversy, the St. John’s Red Storm finally pulled off a victory over Georgetown, 65-58, on Feb. 17.

Guard Darryll Hill led the Red Storm (6-18, 1-12) with 22 points. Hill shot 50 percent from 3-point range and has averaged 20.4 points in the past five games.

Despite a halftime lead and 27 points from Hill, SJU couldn’t pull off its second Big East victory of the year against Virginia Tech (11-12, 4-8), losing, 54-53. The Red Storm also lost last night to No. 8 Connecticut, 71-53.

The losing streak is unfamiliar to a St. John’s program, which holds a winning record against every team in the Big East except Syracuse and Notre Dame.

Rutgers’ bubble about to burst

After a 32-point loss to Boston College on Saturday, it looks as if the predictions of Jay Bilas will come true. Rutgers will now have a tough time making the NCAA Tournament in March.

The Scarlet Knights (15-9, 6-7) did have a chance against the Eagles, trailing only seven points with 15 minutes to go, but RU couldn’t catch up to BC, which put up an offensive barrage at the end of the game.

Even though BC’s Craig Smith was credited with his fourth foul early in the second half, he didn’t have to go back in. The Eagles (18-8, 7-6) rolled to a 76-44 win, likely destroying Rutgers’ chance at a tournament bid.

This and that

Basketball doesn’t seem to be too popular at Miami, where only 4,025 showed up

to see the Hurricanes lose to Syracuse on Feb. 14. … Emeka Okafor of

Connecticut and Hakim Warrick of Syracuse were named co-Big East Players of

the Week last week. … SJU’s Hill was named Big East Rookie of the Week.

… PC’s Welsh needs one victory to claim his 100th win with the

Friars. …Boston College has a higher RPI (20) than Seton Hall (21), Syracuse

(28), Rutgers (41) and Notre Dame (56).