Framing the gay marriage debate

The recent Massachusetts State Supreme Court’s decision to defy the ‘Defense of Marriage Act,’ by legalizing gay marriage, has propelled the issue of civil unions versus gay marriage to the forefront of our country’s social agenda. As an issue that will inevitably affect all Americans, it is necessary to address the debate that is shaping up to be a predominant social concern this upcoming election season.

It is important that the reader know I am not advocating any side of this debate in this column. Instead, it is necessary for people to understand both sides of the debate.

Many are familiar with the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community’s position on gay marriage. The community seeks to redress its exclusion of being afforded the title of marriage. It would like marriage to be redefined by the government as a union between two people as opposed to the traditional definition of a union between a man and woman.

But many people are unfamiliar or do not understand the position of those who believe marriage should not be redefined. The majority of Americans who believe that marriage is a union between a man and woman also believe that marriage is a sacred institution. It is one deeply rooted in the history, culture, and tradition of civil society.

Marriage predates our constitution and nation by millennia. It was not created by government and should not be redefined by government or judicial activists. Opponents of gay marriage believe that this is not an issue of discrimination but rather one of preserving the basic building block of society.

At the same time, many who support the traditional definition of marriage also support government sponsored civil unions. This would enable gay couples to be recognized by the government and be afforded similar partnership rights as those of married couples.

The outcome of this debate is important and so is the way that it is conducted. As this debate commences individual dignity and all viewpoints must be respected.

If you would like more information on the issue, visit the Family Research Council Web site at www.frc.org and the Human Rights Campaign Web site at www.hrc.org.

Christopher N. Malagisi is a graduate in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. Email him at cnmalagi@maxwell.syr.edu.