Big East prepares for loss of teams

Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun is upset. He’s upset because the conference he helped to build in 18 years will take only two to fall apart.

On May 13, 2003, the Atlantic Coast Conference voted to expand its league by inviting schools to join. On June 25, Miami and Virginia Tech accepted the invitation, and Boston College followed two months later.

‘BC is a terrific institution,’ Calhoun said. ‘I just have to take a philosophical difference about something I have been involved with.’

The decision to jump conferences was made primarily to boost revenue for the schools’ football programs. Boston College President the Rev. William Leahy feels moving to the ACC will enhance revenue through increased exposure of the school.

‘The ACC is a strong, stable conference,’ Leahy said to Gannet News Services. ‘The move to the ACC will generate greater revenues in the future.’

The decision may generate revenue for football, but how will it affect Big East basketball?

As of now, Boston College head coach Al Skinner said the conference switch has had no influence on his team’s game nor has it had any effect on recruitment.

‘We haven’t made the move yet and won’t be making the move for another year

and a half,’ Skinner said. ‘We’re gonna be playing in the Big East this year

and next year, and that’s all we’re really focusing on. And like I said, I don’t think it’s going to impact our recruiting that much.’

Because of Big East contract stipulations, the Eagles will not play in the ACC until the 2005-06 season. This gives freshmen like Jared Dudley the rare opportunity to play in both the ACC and Big East for two years.

‘I’m very excited for (the move to the ACC),’ Dudley said. ‘I think we only have one game on ESPN so far this year. You even see the bottom of the ACC on TV a lot.’

Unlike Boston College, though, this season marks the last for Miami’s and Virginia Tech’s Big East affiliation.

Neither school will be a big loss for Big East basketball, considering they have a combined 5-12 conference record. Miami holds the third-to-last spot in the Big East and is trailed closely by Virginia Tech.

Neither Miami nor Virginia Tech could be reached by The Daily Orange for comment on the situation.

Earlier in the year, Calhoun made comments at the Big East meetings regarding Boston College’s decision to move. He said when he played BC, he wished to run up the score, showing his displeasure with BC’s athletic program.

Before the Huskies beat BC, 63-58, Calhoun had changed his mind about the situation. Though Calhoun is upset with the decisions of the three schools to leave, he knows his feelings will not influence Connecticut’s play against the Eagles.

‘Anything that did happen or was said is irrelevant,’ Calhoun said in January. ‘I philosophically differ with their stance 100 percent, that’s all.’

Conference Elite fall on Big Monday

Big Monday was not so big for No. 4 Pittsburgh and No. 5 Connecticut. Both teams lost to unranked conference opponents.

Pitt (22-2, 8-2 Big East) fell to Seton Hall (16-5, 6-3), 68-67, in its sixth double-overtime game in the school’s history, despite stellar performances from Carl Krauser and Chevon Troutman. Krauser scored 23 points, despite fouling out, and Troutman posted his fourth career double-double.

Seton Hall’s Andre Barret hit his second free throw with 9.6 seconds left in double overtime to secure the win. Pitt had a chance to win, but was unable to score on its last drive.

Connecticut (19-4, 7-2) met a similar fate Monday when it lost to Notre Dame (11-9, 5-5), 80-74.

Despite outrebounding the Irish, 44-39, the Huskies didn’t have an answer for guard Chris Thomas, who put in 31 points.

‘Great job by Chris,’ Irish head coach Mike Brey said, ‘we really rode him hard all game, and he responded.’

Connecticut will face Pittsburgh on Saturday at the Peterson Events Center at 1:30 p.m.

Miami Rice

They may be third-to-last in the conference, but the Hurricanes hold claim to one of the best players in the Big East.

Senior small forward Darius Rice is one of the 30 remaining candidates for the John Wooden Award, and he leads Miami (13-10, 3-6) with an average of 17. points.

Rice was named to the Preseason All-Big East first team along with UConn’s Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon, Notre Dame’s Chris Thomas, Providence’s Ryan Gomes, and Syracuse’s Hakim Warrick.

Rice needs only 21 points to become the 24th player in Big East history to reach the 1,000-point mark.

He will have his chance to reach the milestone tonight, as the ‘Canes host Boston College (15-7, 4-5) at 7:30.

This and That

Though Pitt and SHU played double-overtime games Monday night, Georgetown and Villanova have played the most double-overtime games in the Big East with seven. Monday night marked Pitt’s sixth. … Monday night was the first time in conference history when two Big East teams ranked in the top five lost on the same day. …West Virginia coach John Beilein is two wins away from his 475th career victory. … Pittsburgh is 17-0 this year at the Petersen Events Center and has won 39 consecutive home games.