Political groups prepare for primaries

The race for the Democratic presidential nomination officially kicked off Monday night with the Iowa caucus.

The Iowa caucus is the first of many primaries that lead up to the national party conventions, which decide each party’s nominee for the presidency.

While President George W. Bush has the Republican nomination locked up, attention has shifted to the Democratic field. The projected winner of the caucus in Iowa was John Kerry, a senator from Massachusetts. Kerry was followed closely by John Edwards, a senator from North Carolina. Howard Dean, the former governor of Vermont, and Dick Gephardt, a representative from Missouri, came in third and fourth in the caucus, respectively.

For months the polls had Dean at a great advantage over the others, but in recent weeks the tables have turned and the race has become extremely close, with an almost four-way tie between the candidates.

At first Dean broke out of the pack and gained an identity advantage over the other candidates. He was very outspoken about his opposition to the war in Iraq but then was labeled by the media as not being careful about what he said and this ruined his image, said Jeff M. Stonecash, a professor of American politics at Syracuse University.

‘The caucus will be very, very close,’ said Tim S. Schlittner, former president of the College Democrats at SU, who is currently working as a field organizer for Dick Gephardt in Iowa. ‘There are four candidates who have a legitimate chance of winning.’

Many Democrats felt the outcome of the caucus would be decided by which candidate had the best-organized campaign and which has rallied the most followers to come out to support him.

‘I think the key is connecting with voters, having a strong campaign throughout and getting the media attention,’ said Ryan Colombo, president of the College Republicans and a senior political science and management major.

A caucus is very similar to a primary in that citizens can voice their opinion on the candidate of their choice, but instead of going to a polling booth the voters go to designated sites to listen and vote, Stonecash said.

‘This is a unique process,’ said Schlittner, who majored in political science and broadcast journalism while at SU. ‘To participate, you have to be at your town hall meeting by 6:30 p.m. and be willing to stand for up to three hours of intense political debate.’

‘The caucus will have a short-term effect,’ said Stonecash. ‘It’s going to matter, it’s not that big of a state, but it will help build momentum.’

The issues that could make or break this election may not be the obvious ones, such as the war in Iraq, but rather trade agreements, health insurance and unions, Schlittner said. Stonecash added that the key to a Democratic victory in the general election will be a combination of bad luck for the Bush administration in Iraq, the economy and a strong candidate who is focused and criticizes issues such as the tax cuts.

‘Bush has a huge advantage as the incumbent,’ Colombo said. ‘The first thing to look at is if he needs to be replaced and I see no reason.’

Others disagree. ‘Gephardt has the best chance of beating Bush,’ Schlittner said. ‘He is a moral man with a flawless track record. He is the most stark contrast to the failure of the Bush administration.’

Regardless of the polls and predictions, only time will tell what the voters across the country think, but one thing is for sure, tension surrounding the primary season can be felt in the air.

‘When I walked out of my door (Sunday) I could feel the buzz,’ Schlittner said. ‘I have never experienced anything like it. Win or lose tonight, I know I have been a part of something special.’