Two men burglarize SU student’s apartment

Two unidentified men broke into a Syracuse University student’s apartment at 12:50 a.m. Sunday on the 1200 block of Madison Street, according to a police report.

Senior hotel and restaurant major Christopher Tarsitano’s neighbors reported hearing glass break and seeing two men flee toward Comstock Avenue from the rear of Tarsitano’s house, the report stated.

Tarsitano, who had left the apartment at 10 p.m. Saturday and was not home when the break-in occurred, returned at 2:15 a.m. to find a first-floor window broken and the apartment ransacked, the report added.

The night before, someone rang the doorbell of the apartment and would not answer when Tarsitano’s roommate asked what he was doing there, Tarsitano said. When the roommate picked up a phone to call the police, the man saw him on the phone and ran off, Tarsitano added.

A backpack with $1,000 inside and some clothes were missing, the report stated.

Tarsitano said two laptops, a camera and a stereo were also missing.

n Officers charged G. Joseph McCadden, a State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry student, with criminal possession of a controlled substance at about 5 a.m. Nov. 3 on the 900 block of Comstock Avenue, according to a police report.

Officers were searching the residence of McCadden’s roommate, Shawn Nicol, in connection with the death of Nora Mazza, when they discovered a locked room with a cord for a horticulture light leading under the door, the report stated.

Upon asking McCadden, the owner of the room, to open the door, the police discovered 10 marijuana plants and various devices to aid in the process of growing the plant, the report stated.

n Police charged Raymond Barth, 23, with 5th-degree criminal possession of stolen goods in connection with a crime that occurred at about 12 a.m. Sept.. 30 at 102 Walnut Place, the address of the Winnick Hillel Center, according to a police report.

Police were checking records of pawnshops when they came across Barth’s name in connection with a computer that was sold to the shop, the report stated.

Upon checking the computer’s serial number, it was discovered to belong to the Hillel Center, the report added.

Hillel’s office manager did not report the computer stolen because she felt that it would never be recovered, the report stated.

Barth is already being held in police custody in connection with a series of Syracuse burglaries, the report added.

n An unidentified person broke the windows of an SU student’s apartment with BB pellets sometime after 12 a.m. Saturday on the 200 block of Vincent Street, according to a police report.

n An unidentified person stole property from an SU student’s residence between 11 p.m. and 11:40 p.m. Friday on the 600 block of Walnut Avenue, according to a police report.

The student’s roommates were hanging out in the residence, and two men who no one knew very well were seen acting suspiciously around the residence, the report stated.

A laptop and wireless Internet adapter were stolen, the report added.

n An unidentified person broke into an SU student’s car between 11 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. Friday on the 800 block of Sumner Avenue, according to a police report.

The person broke the passenger-side vent window and stole the stereo, two subwoofer speakers and two amplifiers, the report stated.

n An unidentified person broke into an SU student’s car at about 11 p.m. Oct. 13 on the 100 block of Comstock Avenue, according to a police report.

The person broke the driver’s-side vent window and stole $2 in change, the report added.

Compiled by Asst. News Editor Joe Connolly