Cheers for champs

Sorry class of 2007 – you’re a year too late for Carmelo Anthony. But at least you can still see the trophy.

As the echoes of last year’s national championship fade slowly from campus, Syracuse University sports fans of all ages will have a chance to savor the success of a great year in sports and start cheering for another.

Today’s 2003 Orange Fanfest, outside of the Manley Field house near South Campus, will host the trophy from the Syracuse men’s basketball team’s national championship, as well as open practices and equipment auctions galore. This will be the first time the trophy is on public display since the championship in April.

The annual event is essentially a ‘big summer picnic’ for the athletic department, said Maura Donovan, the department’s assistant director of development. It has successfully drawn hundreds of fans annually to watch teams practice, talk with the athletic staff (including director Jake Crouthamel) and get autographs from their favorite players – many of whom now play professionally.

With an impressive list of items up for auction and sale – from season tickets in most sports to a signed chair from last year’s championship – fans are encouraged to bring their pocketbooks as well as their enthusiasm for SU teams. All profits from the auction, and a portion of profits from the SU bookstore items sold at the event, will go to the athletic department scholarship fund.

Otto the Orange will be on hand for the festivities, as will members of the SU Marching Band and Dance Team to keep the atmosphere juicy as fans wander between practices of the football, field hockey and men’s and women’s soccer teams.

‘Melo might be gone, but Otto and the Jake are doing their best to make up for it.